Friday, December 5, 2008

cover me this

When I first heard Dermot from X-Factor say that Leona Lewis was performing her next single 'Run', covering Snow Patrol's classic rock anthem, my first words were fuck. Ten seconds in the song I was drawn into a beautiful melody that I found difficult to get out of, throughout the course of the song it just got louder and better and for that reason I instantly fell in love with it.

It looks like she'll be number 1 in the English charts this Sunday, and fair play, it's a good vocal cover and it gives Snow Patrol a small Christmas bonus.

So while we're talking covers-I'll give you my top ten covers in reverse order. Feel free to differ.

10-"You Keep Me Hangin' On"-Kim Wilde (originally by The Supremes)
There's a reason why this topped the chart twice in the States.

9-"Walk This Way"-Run-D.M.C feat Aerosmith (originally by Aerosmith)
The combination of rap and rock brought Aerosmith back into recognition and outlined the importance of rap to us all.

8-"I Will Always Love You"-Whitney Houston (originally by Dolly Parton)
5 years ago this would of being higher but it has become dated to me-still a classic but as dated as the original.

7-"Baby One More Time..."-Travis (originally by Britney Spears)
The original is still an all time favourite of mine, however I like what this cover represents, not only is the song a good pop song, it's also a good song in every way possible.

6-"Stop Me"-Mark Ronson (originally by The Smiths)
Never liked The Smiths, this song made me question why.

5-"Hallelujah"-Jeff Buckley (originally by Leonard Cohen)
It's just seven minutes of pure magic in my eyes and did you hear it may be the x-factor song for Christmas-that's when the song will be added to the worst cover list.

4-"Comfortably Numb"-Scissor Sisters (originally by Pink Floyd)
Listened to the original and got bored within the first ten seconds, never got bored of their version and thats why it's on my list so high.

3-"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"-Elton John (originally by The Beatles)
It's just a good cover, that's all.

2-"Respect"-Aretha Franklin (originally by Otis Redding)
Always respected her but never a fan of her music. However this song is so good, I almost feel bad not liking her stuff.

1-"Nothing Compares 2 U"-Sinead O'Connor (originally by Prince)
Everything about Sinead's version is just perfect, she made it her own. Prince did a duet with The Family and it's just not good. It's properly my favourite song of all time, so its really no surprise it's my no.1 cover song.

No comments: